Monday, October 15, 2012

The Power To Change Everything


I believe in the power of personal relationships to make the world a happy place: When I started High School at Mount Saint Joseph I was scared to death for the security of my future, but more importantly I was terrified for the integrity of my inner world. My place of honesty and feeling within my heart. I was always a shy and anxious kid but at the time high school was the big leagues, and my mothers grand pride and excitement didn't help the situation at all.

But then something beautiful happened, Mount Saint Joseph started teaching me. I'm not just talking about math and chemistry and spell check here, I began to learn true values to carry me through life. The five Xevarian virtues Compassion, Simplicity, Zeal, Trust, and Humility. My teachers, my classmates, and even the staff I didn't know welcomed me into their lives and offered me guidance and loved me like family.

It was in this experience that I learned that in my pursuit of knowledge, skill, and professional success there was one other key thing that I desperately wanted to have in my life always. I wanted to be in a community of caring friends. The enduring personal relationships of my beloved school did not cling to an old fashioned sense of cold and distant professionalism and yet managed to enhance my life and brighten my inner world, so it would not sink below a sea of tears as I feared it might in the cold cruel world but instead it would have a beautiful landscape with sturdy comfortable homes for me and my true friends. When we get personal with each other we realize we have more than just jobs to do, and that we have lives to live together.


Word Count: 297


No comments:

Post a Comment